Thursday, October 30, 2008

halloween witchiness...

i'm finally at the point where i'm indignant FOR my son, not at him. this week is dennis's birthday. his birthday is november 1 - and we are having a big ole time teaching him what it means to have an american birthday party. i had the brilliant idea to have a party on halloween. teenagers don't trick-or-treat, right? i mean, the ones whose mamas raise them right don't. there is an age where you don't get to beg for candy any longer. there is an age when the gifts you open on Christmas morning no longer come from a guy in a red suit.

so dennis invited a few friends from school, some grown-ups he knows from moldova and his sister. he was most excited about his school friends. he told them about the party a month in advance so they wouldn't make halloween plans. on monday, he took the invitations to them, and, turns out, every little girl who said she could come has decided not to come. they'd rather trick or treat.

i. am. livid.

he is so hurt by their actions - that they lied to him. he threatened to take away their invitations, and after explaining that wasn't couth, i told him i'd beat them up. then i had to explain that wasn't couth, either.

i don't like this part of motherhood, because my heart just aches. i promised him we'd have the best darn party ever, and they'd only wish they'd come to his party. he didn't look like he bought it.

it's a good thing that i have work to do today, and a heck of a party to plan. because i want to call the mamas. and explain that where i'm from, you just don't let your kids trick or treat at the ripe old age of 16. and you certainly don't teach them to lie.

6 comments:

Liz said...

oh that makes me sick! I'm livid along with you!!

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

oh girl!!! i would come to his party!!! b-days are a big deal!!! being a mom makes that side come out in me too. I look at my little girl and pray she doesn't go through some of the things i went through. my livid-ness will come out too.
hope that he has the best b-day party ever!!! he has a great momma to get one planned for him!

carozza said...

That just breaks my heart. hope the party is the best ever.

hannah said...

typical. and that's why i wasn't friends with any girls in high school.

what a bunch of hoes. sorry, phyllis.

he'll meet sweet girls. just be glad he sees through it now.

i love you guys.

Barbara said...

In my haste to sound like Meredith from Grey's Anatomy...SERIOUSLY?!?! That is absolutely horrible! My heart just breaks for Dennis over this and I can only imagine how he feels! Definitely let him know we are thinking about his and tell him not to waste his time on those stupid girls!

The Haywoods said...

Who lets their teenager trick or treat - that is RUDE. And the lying on top of that is unacceptable. Sorry Dennis had to experience all of that, but you are a great mother and I know he loves you for it. I've been thinking about you guys - how's your dad doing? I will be praying for his recovery! He and my dad can do the Colon Cancer Recovery Dance!