Thursday, October 2, 2008

why i'm not ready to be rachel ray:


i love to cook. it's one of the few things that i've aspired to that i've accomplished. i'm pretty good at "cooking by feel," meaning i can read a recipe and execute well, but i like to throw things together and have them come out tasting much better than any recipe. if ever i have a show on the food network, my mom and i have it all worked out...it will feature "cooking from your pantry" and i'll impart my knowledge to a world of eager viewers. seriously...my family's favorite meals are the ones where i clean out the fridge and concoct a really great meal.


so, how do i know i'm not ready? please look at the photo. that's an example of cooking from your pantry gone awry. my dad had told me about this cheese that you get at walmart that melts into a fantastic mexican dip. i picked up what i thought was the right cheese, but after sticking it with milk in the microwave for about four minutes, it refused to melt. it just got rubbery. so i decided to open a can of beans and a can of corn and throw the cheese in with it. only the rubbery white stuff crumbled instead of melting. my husband said, "wow. it looks like cottage cheese." thanks. in addition to being crumbly, i didn't drain either the beans or the corn or the milk from the dip attempt. so it turned into purple soup.


it didn't taste bad, but man, was it ugly. thankfully, my husband and son know better than to comment. they just ate it. however, i'm almost positive dennis didn't ask for seconds.

also...today would have been my mimi's 95th birthday. i can't ever remember anyone's birthday, but i always remember hers. she's a hero of mine...she loved the Lord, loved her family, and had a good dose of spunk. may it be said of me. 

3 comments:

emily said...

i would LOVE for you to have a cooking show. I would a get DVR just for that and watch it all the time. I love your food and your cooking style!!! sorry about the dip.

The Doose's said...

Why do you make me cry at work? ugh. anyways, I would have loved the dip, I am sure of it. You know how you said that you can read a recipe and execute it....I can follow the recipe to the "t" and it still tastes a bit "off" ha ha... I miss you sister! I wish I could cook! Maybe you and dad can take me on a weekend retreat and learn. lol.

Phyllis said...

I just remember a certain King's Cake in which you literally found a thermometer and made sure the water for the yeast was exactly 110 degrees. That cake rose like a helium filled balloon. I was amazed! So I thought it was really interesting that you will improvise, and you do it so well... and Jessica? When you read this, you must know that you will learn how to cook, and you will be just as good...even if you do have to follow the recipe. After all, that's what I have to do.