Wednesday, December 31, 2008

ready for a new year

i thought i'd blog one last time for 2008. it's been one heck of a year...a brief recap:
- adopted a teenage son
- house flooded, replaced all the floors
- took first family vacation to hawaii
- started looking for a new church
- lost my little love, maggie
- almost lost max - but didn't
- found out my dad has cancer
- found out jon doesn't have cancer
- got a promotion
- found out my mom has cancer

wow. i'm going to call 2008 - "the year where i began to learn about faith." it really has been a trying year, but i know that we're all stronger for it. i am so thankful for friends that come through, for a strong marriage, for a faith that really does grow every day.

for 2009, we pray for lots and lots of good news. dennis will be starting new classes (all honors!) this semester, so let's start with that. we are so proud of our little guy. we are praying that we will be better parents in the coming year. i would love to get to a place where i lay my head on my pillow and say, wow. i was a great mom today. we'll see...

i'm sure that we'll have a new set of challenges in the next 365 days. i pray for grace and mercy, patience and strength as we live each one of them. thanks for walking our journey with us...happy new year!

4 comments:

Chris & Whitney said...

Emily - I don't know if you remember me at all from Ouachita, but I found your blog thru Hannah Fulks. I love reading about your "new" family and all that you've done to make Dennis a part of your family. I am also so sad to learn that your parents have both been so affected by cancer. My life has had a lot of experience with it (not me personally, but family and friends) so please know that you're not alone in your battles and that I am praying for you - I believe that God has many blessings in store for you in 2009. Happy New Year!

Whitney (Baker) White

hannah said...

you will never lay your head down at night and think, "wow. i was a great mom today."

you're too hard on yourself. i see it. your family sees it. jon sees it. everyone else but you.

so when you need someone to make you feel better, call me. i'll tell you how great you are. because you are. and you are the ONLY reason i stayed at ouachita. which means you are the ONLY reason i have a husband. because otherwise, i would be living alone right now, with oh...about 100 cats.

i love you.

and i'm praying for a much better 2009. it can only go up from here...right?

The Doose's said...

You forgot that you were the matron of honor at someone special's wedding....sometime around May 17th.

2009 WILL be better (that's the secret speaking). 2009 is going to be great, that is the year we can say that our family beat cancer!

Tad said...

Wow... your 2008 made me tired! I've been praying for your parents and will continue. And you'll have to tell me more about your basement flooding... 'cause we're going through that exact nightmare right now... only it's in the house we still haven't sold in Michigan. (We got the bad news on Christmas morning.) Anyway, I've enjoyed keeping up with you guys on the blog and Facebook. You'll be getting calls from us in a few years aabout raising teenage boys. (Yikes!) Have a blessed 2009!