Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Memories and perspective

So tonight I got to "chaperone" pledge week activities. And that brought back a million memories.

I went to a private Christian university. As such, we didn't have national sororities. But we have "social clubs" which are the equivalents. Without the hefty dues. And being a part of that system was a really great part of my college experience. It truly taught me social graces. It taught me to value female friendships. It gave me some of the greatest female friendships I will ever have.

But watching those activities tonight reminded me of a couple of things I would have told my 18-year-old self.

1. it's not about you.
2. It's not as funny as you think it is.
3. It's not as bad as you think it is.
4. Soak it up.

Come to think of it, these are things my 32-year-old self could take to heart. Perspective is something that I think we all lack at any given time. Tonight gave me a little of that and as always, I'm grateful for the lesson.

3 comments:

Kristen Black said...

I so agree, Emily- especially with #4. Glad to see you blogging again and jealous of you getting to "relive" Ouachita in a different way.

kevin21 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
teeshirtonline2012 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.