Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Missing Maggie


Some of you may have already heard that our little Maggie passed away last night. We knew she was not doing well last night at the animal hospital but tried to find glimmers of hope in each push of her leg on us and the way she rested her head on emily's shoulder just desperate for rest. We brought her her favorite pillow from the house, a nice soft brown velvet floor pillow, and Emily laid her on that pillow and kissed her before we left. Emily went to visit her this morning and Dr. Bolling had to break the news that we lost her.

There are so many emotions swirling in both of us right now. Dennis doesn't know yet - he's at school... I go back and forth thinking - I shouldn't be this sad... but I am. I'll have strong moments and then cry at my desk and I only jumped into blog because I'm sure Emily's computer is fried from all the tears falling on the keys today. Maggie was definitely her mama's baby, as the picture above shows, and we are going to miss her so, so much. She was our first "baby"... We answered the ad in the paper for a schnauzer and once we met her and her brother Max, we knew they were to be part of our family. We had wonderful trips to the dog park, fun road trips to nana's, dressed her up (sometimes against her will) in isaac mizrahi polo shirts and halloween costumes from target, and we have countless other wonderful memories of moments relaxing together at home. She was a sweet, amazingly smart dog that loved us and had so much personality. She was feisty, she was a hunter that hunted down whatever it is that made her sick and she fought hard against the attack on her system. Even though she lost her fight last night, we will never forget our little maggie and we're just trying to ponder the reasons why God may have allowed this to happen today. I do know that I'd much rather her be resting and at peace then suffer from extended damage from whatever toxin her body was fighting.

We're thankful we have Max today - who is a very sweet, smart dog and knows what has happened. He licked up our tears today and I'm sure he's missing Maggie in their house today. Our life seems to be constant change these days and we're just not sure when we'll get a break. But we know there is much to be thankful for - like God's constant provision, that Maggie isn't in pain anymore, that we have Max to help us heal as we help him heal, and that we have an amazing son who has grown to love these pups like he never knew he could. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers today...

7 comments:

emily said...

my heart brakes for your family...all of you, including max. I'm so sad that this had to happen. Please know that you are loved and prayed for. Bauer is ready with comfort greenies and toys for Max whenever he is ready.

hannah said...

i am so sorry for you guys. i lost mama kitty after 21 years and honestly didn't know if i would ever be okay. it took years. there is no shame in that.

i love you all.

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

Oh I am soo sorry to hear this news, it breaks my heart for you guys. be thinking about you guys. i don't think we ever get over losing our beloved pets.
that is the sweetest picture ever. love it!

A. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Maggie. I know how painful it is to lose an animal...a baby...a part of the family. I used to think that people were crazy for acting nuts about their dogs but when I got Riley, my yorkie, I understood after a week of almost losing her when she was a baby. I woke up every hour on the hour through the night to give her medicine and try to get her to drink water...I was gone after that! Totally nuts about her! I freaked out when she got her hysterectomy and called my mom to see if I could bring her over and have her help me take care of her. I didn't lose Riley to death but I did have to give her to another family to care for her because I travel so much...it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. It's been over a year since then but when I moved to Nashville a few weeks ago I found her box...full of her clothes from Target :-) and all her doggie stuff! I am praying for you guys as you miss your sweet Maggie!

Love Ashley Guilbert

hannah said...

e-

those are the same flops since college...since, oh...high school. since the 10th grade actually. it was my first trip to j.crew. and i got black and brown flip flops. that means they are somewhere around 13 years old. i was 16 then. oh my goodness! is that even possible? that just made me realize how old i am and how long it's been since high school!

i should really think about getting other ones now that i realize that. my feet are so swollen now that they are all i can wear. my rings no longer fit. a part of me wants to wear them on my necklace...a la 80's style.

i love you. and if you really imported some flops from brazil...well, that's a better story than you ducking down behind the counter so that little girl didn't have to look at you anymore :)

Brent S. Gambill said...

Sorry to hear about Maggie. We've had our golden retriever, Maddie, since our first year of marriage and can't imagine what you are going through. Our prayers are with you and Emily. All my best.

Brent S.

Liz said...

I'm so sorry - losing a pet is so hard. I remember when my cat Charlie ran away when I was 8 months pregnant with our first baby. I was waddling up and down the street calling to him, shaking his food bowl... I still miss my Charlie...